In this post, I will shed light on the Google Ads keyword match types, and besides that, I will also explain their pros and cons.
- Types of keywords
- And where and how to implement and use them
The main types of keywords are:
- Broad match
- Broad match modifier
- Phrase match
- Exact match
These are Google Ads keyword match types or Adwords keyword match types
Your chosen keywords determine your ad’s display in the Google search results.
What is keyword matching?
In simple words, keyword matching is just like catching a fish by throwing a net in the water; not all you get in the net is what you need; similarly, keywords in Google ads help you choose what you are looking for.
Broad match keywords:
Broad match keywords have no symbol; as the term broad denotes Broadness, all relevant terms will include. There will be a high chance of triggering your ad.
It is the default match type and assigns all your keywords. For smart bidding Broad match can be your preferred choice.
It sometimes benefits your website as there will be significant traffic on your site, and it could be of no use simultaneously because not every visitor on your site will be a buyer.
Phrase match keywords:
The symbol phrase match is the “woman hats” inverted commas. Here is the close meaning of the ad will also include. It allows the user to have more searches. For instance, if the phrase match keyword is Tennis shoes, the ads will show on the search for footwear for tennis, get tennis shoes on sale, etc.
The advantage of phrase-match is that it brings more relevant traffic to your site; it is more focused, and irrelevant traffic keeps at bay. Phrase match has high recommendations!
Broad match modifier
The sign of the broad match modifier is a + sign. +woman + hats, it means you have restricted that both of these terms should be included. Your ad will be triggered if some variation is added before and after these words. BMM enlarges your access, and it is more controlled. The traffic it fetches to your site is relevant.
Exact match keywords
The sign of an exact match is large brackets (women’s hats).
Exact means precise; your ad will display when someone searches precisely your keyword word. Any variation added to it will not trigger your ad at all. It must be entered as it is without modification.
With exact-match keywords, you get highly relevant traffic. One of its disadvantages is if the visitor types slightly, your ad will not trigger.
- Broad match keyword, the search engine will go with your ad for any word that has relevance to your term. You garner great impressions and traffic on your site. On the other hand, irrelevant traffic will be there too.
- Broad match modifier; here, you have more control. You get high traffic, and this invites irrelevant traffic too.
- Phrase match, the searched query has to match your keyword. It is recommended to locate the framework of relevant searches. But it can affect your cost as it can fetch irrelevant traffic too.
- Exact match, you are strictly focused; it is to be added as it is, with no modification; otherwise, your ad will not be triggered as it has no flexibility, so it can cause you to be beaten on qualified traffic.
- Negative keywords are terms you don’t want to be associated with your ad, such as your service is paid, and the visitor searches for Free service; that’s why you restrict your ad not to trigger any such negative keywords.
Read our next article”How to design a Google ad campaign structure“